When you become sick or get injured while at work, workplace compensation provides coverage for your medical expenses. Aside from health care, workers compensation also covers rehabilitation and wage replacement. It pays for your medical expenses from a wide range of injuries such as broken arm, hearing loss or carpal tunnel syndrome. However, It has to be work-related injuries or attributed to the conditions of your employment.
According to the website of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., getting injured from work may force you to be absent from work for a long time to undergo treatment and recovery. Your personal finances may not be enough to shoulder medical expenses. However, to be eligible for the benefits, you have to file a claim. You must first notify your employer about the injury as soon as possible. It is the responsibility of your employer to file the claim as well.
Workers compensation is governed by the Coming and Going rule. This means that any injury sustained while commuting to and from work is not covered. However, transportation-related injuries can be covered such as running errands for an employer or transporting goods in the course of employment. The amount of compensation is usually one half to two-thirds of normal compensation so you would end up getting an income that is close to your pre-injury level.
Raleigh workers compensation attorneys of Scudder & Hedrick, PLLC will tell you that an independent medical examination will be required when claiming workers compensation. The doctor who performed the examination will report the findings to the insurance company, which will then base their compensation offer from the report. If you are not happy with the package offered to you, you can still make an appeal to the workers compensation board of your state.
Bear in mind that your employer might contest your claim and the result could be a court hearing. Your best defense then will be to produce good documentation which may include medical records of your injury and treatment.
Sexual harassment in the workplace is rampant nowadays. A recent survey conducted by Cosmopolitan Magazine revealed that 1 in 3 women has experienced sexual harassment at some point in their lives. The website of Cary Kane, LLP revealed that sexual harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances from simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents of inappropriate behavior. Employers play a crucial role in preventing sexual harassment in the workplace.
A Texas sexual harassment attorney will tell you that harassment does not need to be sexual in nature. Even an offensive remark about a person’s sex is considered harassment. Employers can undertake a number of measures in reducing the risk of sexual harassment in the workplace. Let us take a look at some of these steps:
- Adopt a clear sexual harassment policy. In your employee handbook, you can include a policy centering on sexual harassment. The policy should clearly define harassment and state that you will not tolerate sexual harassment and that any incidence of such shall be dealt with accordingly. Austin business lawyers can help in the drafting of these policies.
- Conduct employee training. At least once a year, employers should conduct training sessions to their employees. It should give employees an overview of sexual harassment and should inform employees about their rights to a sexual harassment free workplace
- Inform employees about their options if they find themselves in a harassment situation. Employees must be informed about what steps can be done if they find themselves becoming a victim of harassment.
- Monitor emails and other electronic communications to scan for harassing content. Check for emails and other communication that has harassment content
- Promote a culture where sexual harassment is not welcome or tolerated. Ensure that work-related activities should be professional in nature. Employers should draw a line between off-color jokes and other offensive materials.
- Have a clear process for investigating harassment complaints. If an employee files a sexual harassment complaint, you should immediately look at it and ensure that such behavior stops.
Roof repair and maintenance can be a fun but challenging DIY venture. Simple maintenance such as leak repairs can be easily done by you. However, major work such as installation and replacement is best handled by a roofing contractor. The website of Best Roofing reveals that while it can save you a few hundred dollars by doing the work yourself, hiring a roofing contractor is the cost saving option in the long run.
Choosing a contractor for your roofing needs depends on several factors. Here are some tips for finding the right company for installation and maintenance of your roof.
1. Ask for referrals
Recommendations from friends and relatives can make the job of finding a roofing contractor easier for you. They may have some information on roofing contractors that are suited to your budget.
2. Type of work needed
A Fort Lauderdale roofing company will tell you that finding a contractor will also depend on what kind of work would be done. Will they be inspecting storm damage? Are they going to paint a room? Do you need an expert opinion? The website of roofing companies offer free estimate so take advantage of this offering.
Some roofing companies might be open to start with the project right away. Although this could be your opportunity, it means that they are not busy which could also be a red flag you need to watch out for.
Different roofing companies have a wide range of specialties. Some are experts in door or window replacement while others provide a wide range of services. Your choice of roofing contractor will depend on the specialized work you are looking for.
You would want to make sure that the company you are looking for has a good reputation in their industry. You would want to work with a company that carries a high standard of professionalism and integrity.
Conducting a little research about the roofing contractor can go a long way in ensuring the durability and long life of your roof.